Wednesday, January 13, 2010

There is just something about a child's laughter

I honestly think the world could have been on fire around me, and I wouldn't have cared to move. I came home from a meeting at church tonight, walked in the door and was immediately aggitated that Jeff hadn't washed the dishes or put Sam to bed. (LK passed out on her own as I was leaving.) But then, I realized Sam being up was God's little gift to me for today. He sat in my lap and rubbed my face for a bit, then all of the sudden he just started laughing. Maybe it was because he was looking at my face, maybe it was because he knew all the trouble he was going to cause over the next few years. But, for what ever reason, Sam would just giggle and laugh uncontrollably. He has giggled and laughed before, but tonight was different. He literrally laughed until he cried- and it made me want to cry. These are the precious moments that make the terrible moments worth it. I just kept trying to record that sound of him laughing in my brain. He has a really cute laugh. So, Jeff, thank your son for getting you out of major trouble. I don't even care that the dishes aren't washed, they will be there in the morning.

Lexi Kate was also full of laughter today. Her laugh sounds so different from Sam's, but I love it just as much. In fact, I am guilty of tickling her when I am having a bad day just to hear her laugh. Today, I didn't tickle her- I scolded her. What happened.... she pouted for a minute, then she ran up to me laughing. I asked why she was laughing. She asked, "Mommy are you angry at me?" No, I am not angry, but you have a consequence. She laughed and said, "That's okay, you forgive me and you will forget about it." She is probably right.... but the consequence did stick.

I have tried every day recently to make sure I find several things I am thankful for. Today, I am thankful for my children's laughter. I worry that they pick up on our stress, which I am sure they do to some extent. But, the laughter of today assures me that they are healthy and happy kids. And, not much else matters to me. I think I could bear most any burden if I could just hear my kids laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment