Thursday, January 21, 2010

Life Lessons

I love so many things about my husband, but one of the things I love the most is we can talk about so many things. And, even if we disagree, we can battle it out with the security of knowing neither one of us is going anywhere. Today our discussion was not a battle at all, but rather an opportunity for God to show me once again how much He has blessed me by providing me with a husband that is a spiritual leader for our family.

We have been going back and forth lately with what decisions we need to make in many areas of our lives. And if there is one thing in life I hate, it is going back and forth. I tend to operate in the black and white, make a decision & go with it. The Bible study I have been doing lately is all about not planning out our steps, trusting in God's plan and provision. I can honestly say that something about that has granted me an amazing peace in life.

So, once again today when Jeff presented a problem that we need to make a decision about, I quoted him directly from my Bible study today telling him how God had a plan and His plans included success for our lives. Then, this is where the discussion starts. Jeff reminded me that yes, God is our provider and protector, and he does have a great plan for our lives. But, just like when we accept His salvation from our sins we are not absolved from the consequences of our past actions; today we are not absolved from the consequences of the decisions we have made. That made me think a little bit. God was our Savior, but maybe we weren't allowing him to be Lord. We ran our lives, we made decisions, we made a mess. Now, we are trusting in God's provision to get us out of the mess. Is God going to provide, absolutely! Will there be some rough spots and consequences for bad decisions, most likely.

All of that to say, I am so thankful for this time in our lives. I wake up many mornings thinking our current circumstances flat out suck. I remember times of plenty 5 years ago when we were living in the condo, had 2 great jobs, and no kids, very little bills. But, once again at that point in my life, I hadn't learned to completely trust in God's plan and provision for my life. I didn't have the rest of knowing I wasn't responsible for planning my days. And, most of all I didn't have the love I have today. I could go anywhere, and have nothing as long as I have my wonderful husband who loves God and loves me and these precious children. I am so richly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment